creating opportunities for student writing
and promoting the intellectual exchange of ideas

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

EAT RIGHT?

by Stacie Williams

As a New Year’s resolution, to eat healthy was my vow.

So, I bought some books to see, just how this comes about.

One said avoid the red meat, ‘cause cancer it will cause.

And if this doesn’t happen, your arteries will clog.

So, I relied upon the chicken, till I thought I’d sprout a feather.

That’s when I tried another book, this guy knew something better.

It said avoid the chicken, or your stomach will protest.

For people with my blood type, this bird we can’t digest.

Yet, this one said, “enjoy your beef, but avoid tomatoes at all cost.”

No ketchup on my list from here, my french fries feel quite lost.

And scratch out all the olives, forget the refried beans.

This really puts a damper on my Mexican cuisine.

Then they said try out a lamb, some venison, a bunny.

Do they not watch Disney Channel? This really isn’t funny!

So, yet another book was read. Boy did this one have some faults.

No more dairy products?! No more sugar?! No more salt?!

Disgusted with the books, I swept them from my desk.

For if I followed their advice, I’d surely starve to death.

So, pulling up my New Year’s list, I scrolled down to number three.

And made a quick revision, to eat anything I pleased.

No comments: